PRIVACY AT BBC STUDIOS
WHO WE ARE
BBC Studio exists to support the BBC's public service mission and to generate value for licence fee payers. We achieve this by producing television programmes and other content for customers in the UK and internationally, in a way that is consistent with BBC standards and values. All our profits return to the BBC Group.
BBC Studios is primarily a business-to-business company offering services to other companies. As such the data we collect about individuals is limited. However, wherever we do collect and hold personal data we will follow this promise.
1. We will comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulatory frameworks.
2. We will only use your personal information to supply, improve and manage our services. Any additional or unusual uses of your information will be explained at the point of collection.
3. We will only send you emails if you have permitted us to (and you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe in each of our emails).
4. We will not share personally identifiable information with unrelated third parties for their own use without your knowledge. We may share your information within the BBC Group so that we can provide you with the best customer experience across our products.
5. We will take appropriate steps to safeguard your information in accordance with industry standards. However, it is important to keep in mind that no website can be completely secure.
6. We will only keep your information for as long as we need it: (i) to provide you with a product/service; (ii) to improve our services; and (iii) for legal and audit purposes.
7. We will take steps to ensure that our suppliers look after your information as we do, including where they are processing your information in countries that do not provide the same legal protection to your information.
In the course of your interactions with us, BBC Studios may collect information about you and about your use of our website. We are committed to being transparent in our handling of personal information and we endeavour to comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws. This policy describes the types of information we might collect, how we may use it and the circumstances in which we might disclose or transfer it.
If you have any questions or comments about this policy or our approach to privacy please contact us at BBCStudiosDataProtection@bbc.co.uk . We will reply to your queries as soon as possible.
1. SCOPE OF THIS POLICY AND YOUR CONSENT
This policy governs our processing of your information in relation to your use of the website and any other interactions with BBC Studios.
2. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
The type of information we collect will depend on the circumstances and the nature of your interactions with us. Generally speaking, we will collect information relating to you and/or your use of our services in the following ways:
PERSONAL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY YOU:
This is usually information that identifies you as an individual or that enables us to contact you and can include your name, telephone number, e-mail address, data of birth, demographical information, interests, preferences and photos or video footage. It can also include information that we have not requested but which you have volunteered, such as information provided through submissions you have made to BBC Studios.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY DURING YOUR USE OF OUR WEBSITE:
Our website uses HTTP cookies (also known as web cookies, Internet cookies or browser cookies) to allow us to deliver an optimum experience and analyse the usage of our website. An HTTP cookie is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user’s computer by the web browser while the user is browsing. Our website does not collect any other information about you.
INFORMATION COLLECTED VIA SOCIAL MEDIA AND OTHER THIRD PARTIES:
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We will use your information: (i) to deliver and improve our services and (ii) for our own legitimate business purposes and needs. Specifically, we may use your information to:
- produce a programme, where you have consented to taking part;
- send you service related communications;
- respond to your requests and feedback;
- analyse and/or improve our services;
- prevent fraud or other potentially illegal activities (including copyright infringement);
- send you newsletters relating to our programmes and services in accordance with your email preferences.
Where BBC Studios proposes to use your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to object to our processing of your data.
4. SHARING & DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION
INFORMATION SHARED WITH OUR SUPPLIERS
We use a number of third parties to perform business functions on our behalf. We only disclose the information necessary to enable these third parties to perform their services. Our suppliers are contracted to comply with our instructions and we require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
INFORMATION SHARED WITH OTHER PARTIES
Generally, we will only disclose your data to other parties with your knowledge and for a legitimate business purpose, for example in the making of a programme. Such parties may include broadcasters and other entities in the BBC Group. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies, government/regulatory bodies, internet service providers and content protection organizations as required or allowed by law. For example, if you post inappropriate or objectionable content on our services or where we reasonably believe you may be in breach of the law, we may report your content and behaviour to relevant parties.
SALE OR TRANSFER OF ALL OR PART OF OUR BUSINESS OR ASSETS
We reserve the right to transfer your personal information in the event we sell or transfer all or a part of our business or assets so that the buyer can continue to provide services and conduct legitimate business activity. We will make reasonable efforts to provide you with advance notification of the transfer of your information in such circumstances.
5. WHERE WE WILL STORE AND USE YOUR INFORMATION
As described in the previous section, we may share your information with other broadcasters who commission us to create content, entities within the BBC Group or contracted third party service providers. These companies may be located in, or use IT equipment located in, countries different to that in which your information is collected. Where this is the case, we will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an equivalent level of protection.
6. HOW LONG WE WILL KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will hold your personal information for as long as is necessary for the relevant service or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us, in accordance with our retention policy.
7. HOW WE SECURE YOUR INFORMATION
We maintain appropriate organisational and technological safeguards to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information we hold about you. We also seek to ensure our service providers do the same.
Unfortunately, no system can be guaranteed as completely secure and there is an inherent risk in transmitting information over the internet. It may be possible for an unrelated party to intercept or access such transmissions unlawfully.
If you believe that your personal information under our control has been compromised, including access to any accounts you hold with our services, please contact us immediately using the details below.
8. YOUR RIGHTS & CHOICES
COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES AND OPT-OUTS
If you wish to stop receiving communications from us then please click on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the relevant communication. Please note that this will not unsubscribe you from all communications, only the newsletter in the question and as such you will need to perform this action for each of the newsletters you are subscribed to.
In accordance with industry standards, we reserve the right to retain your record for a reasonable amount of time so we can ensure that we do not contact you in the future.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
If you would like to know what information we hold about you, you may submit a request to us by using the contact details below. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files within a reasonable time or as required by law.
Some requests may be subject to a small fee and, to protect your privacy, we will require you to prove your identity before granting access to your personal information.
DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
If you would like us to delete your information from our records then please contact us using the details below and we will respond within a reasonable time. Please note that we may be required to retain certain information by law and/or for own legitimate business purposes.
10. CONTACT US
If you have any questions or comments about this policy or our approach to privacy please contact us at:
Data Protection Officer
BBC Studios Limited
Broadcast Centre, Third Floor, Zone D5,
201 Wood Lane,